Flomax, AKA tamsulosin, is considered to be a drug only for men with benign prostatic hyperplasia. It helps such men in improving the urine flow when their prostate becomes too large to obstruct the urine flow. Flomax is used for men, but, some studies have proved that women can also use Flomax if they have any issues in the urine flow. Although FDA US doesn’t approve the use of Flomax for women, some women experimented Flomax, and they found it equally effective in women as in men. Let’s have a look at the crucial details of Flomax that we all need to know.
Uses of Flomax:
The thing that we need to keep in mind is that Flomax is specially dedicated to treating BPH in men. The thing is that it doesn’t reduce the prostate size, but it helps in relaxing the muscles between the bladder and prostate to cause the smooth flow of urine. Flomax is used for the same purpose in women also, but in the case of women, it helps them empty their bladders if they are having trouble in urinating. So, if you have a weak stream or if you need to urinate often and urgently, especially in the midnight, you can use Flomax to treat these issues that are bothering you.
Some instructions to take Flomax for women:
The most important thing to know is how you should take this drug in the right way so that it can help you in treating the issues instead of creating more problems for you. The following are some instructions that you should keep in mind before taking Flomax for women.
- The first thing, we never recommend you to start taking tamsulosin without your doctor’s prescription, because it can be more than harmful if you take in the wrong amount of drug. If you do it, the drug will create more troubles for you instead of curing the disease. So, you should always consult your doctor before taking any medication. On the other hand, the company also provides the leaflet to educate the patients about how they should take medicine. You can also get help from that guideline leaflet.
- Follow the dosage prescribed by your doctor or mentioned on the leaflet to avoid any mishap.
- When you visit your doctor, you doctor will make sure that you don’t have prostate cancer, or if you have had in the past, you must inform your doctor about that so that he can prescribe you the drug accordingly.
- You should take Flomax only once a day, after one meal every day. Keep one thing in mind that the overdose can risk your life too, so don’t dare change the dosage without consulting your doctor; otherwise, you will have to face severe results.
- Flomax is available in the form of a capsule, and you have to take one as a whole. Don’t try to open it, break it or to take in any other way instead of swallowing the whole at once.
- You have to take care of your blood pressure if you are taking Flomax. You should regularly check the blood pressure so that you can take the dose safely.
- Vomiting, diarrhea, and sweating can reduce your blood pressure, and in low blood pressure, you should not take medicine. We recommend you to visit your doctor immediately and let him handle the situation.
Side effects of Flomax:
As we mentioned before, Flomax is not approved by the FDA for women, but certain women took the risk and tried it. They faced the same side effects of Flomax in women as they are in men instead of irregular ejaculation. We are listing below some of the significant side effects of Flomax that you should know so that if you feel like having any symptoms; you can immediately consult the doctor to stop the drug or alter the dosage. With no further ado, let’s get started!
Orthostatic hypotension is also known as low blood pressure when you stand up. It happens most of the times when you wake up and stand immediately. You feel like lightheaded and dizzy all day long. The people who have just started using Flomax may face these symptoms of lightheadedness, dizziness and faintness. Sometimes, a change in the dosage can also be a cause of this issue in the women using Flomax.
Like other drugs, Flomax also causes allergic reactions if not used properly. The patient may feel rash, hives, itching, trouble while breathing and may complain about swelling tongue or throat. If you feel any of these symptoms, you must consult with your doctor with no further ado, so that they can give you some treatment to avoid the serious damage.
Like some other drugs, Flomax may also show some skin reactions, but you should never take them for granted. These reactions can be severe enough to damage your skin. Some significant skin reactions that the people reported are facial swelling, breathing difficulties, and raised welts which may also cause fever. So, keep track of such side effects and reach your doctor when you get any of these symptoms on your skin.
The long story short, despite all these side effects, Flomax is still widely used by women to improve urination. If you also have to face some difficulties in urination, you should also give it a try but not without your doctor’s consultation. Keep one thing in mind forever that no medication should be taken without your doctor’s recommendation, for it can ruin your entire system and leave you with irreparable damage. It is more than important to seek a doctor’s advice before starting any medications, and the same is the case with Flomax. Although it is an over-the-counter medicine, we never recommend you to use it with taking advice from your doctor.